Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Digital Games Design

We've been back at school now for almost 3 days and I've shocked myself, I've not set up the department Wii yet. Even more shocking, I've not played Guitar Hero on it this year.

I'm starting to think carefully about the digital gaming course I am running with 2 classes and have been inspired again by reading some of the consolarium blogs.

One of the activities in the course is to create a level for a computer game, my first thought for this came from the compednet forums for computing teachers and that was to use Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii to do this but now there are other ideas coming into my head. The pupils could create their own song for Guitar Hero for others to complete, create a whole world in Little Big Planet (Thanks to Derek for that idea).

I almost shelled out for a PS3 to see if this would be a good idea, I also quite fancied playing the new call of duty but eventually came to my senses and saved my money - until I found a camera I liked but thats another story.

Can anyone think of any other games about to create levels?

My other purchase over the holidays was a Nintendo DS, Which has given me other ideas. I'm going to poll the S4 games class and try to get them to bring it in next week for a competition.

2 comments:

David said...

For game creation, I heard Steve Beard talk about GameMaker (free) and MissionMaker. Also, I showed Scratch to the Computing students this year and from a standing start, within 30 minutes one had the start of a breakout style game and another had a more or less working space invaders. ...I like Scratch! Stunningly brilliant. :-)

Anonymous said...

I do love scratch, it's a great tool to get the pupils interested in programming, need to try and work it in with the S1 & 2. again the only problem is the limitation of the systems.